This post is a continuation of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases in India post.
Diarrheal disease is the second leading cause of death in children under five years old. It is both preventable and treatable.
- Diarrheal disease kills 1.5 million children every year and account for >10% if child mortality in India.
- Globally, there are about two billion cases of diarrheal disease every year.
- Diarrheal disease mainly affects children under two years old.
- Diarrhea is a leading cause of malnutrition in children under five years old.
- Diarrhea can be of bacterial origin (ex: cholera), viral origin (ex: rotavirus) or parasitic (ex: ameobic dysentery)